The baseball-pi program is designed to display the score on a set of dedicated hardware. I didn’t want to just use a standard screen because at that point I might as well just run a web browser with MLB Gameday open on it, and that’s no fun.
For my main scoreboard display I used an HD44780 based 4x20 character display. The screen is in 4-bit mode and uses 6 GPIO pins to operate. This makes my wiring relatively simple:
At this point my code is just far along enough to get the screen to display static images so I’ve mocked up how I want the main scoreboard screen to look:
And a wide shot:
That’s all for now.